Thursday, May 10, 2007

Not Many Adventures, Anymore

It has been sometime since I have updated this blog. A lot has changed and I thought I'd bring everyone up to date. First off I attended the Raytheon Polar Services Company job fair in early April and talked to people about going back. It appears the options were open to me if I so chose. I started contemplating returning to the long night and the friendly confines of Amundsen-Scott Station.

Later that same day I got a call which turned into a job offer from Sun Microsystems Inc. The money was about the same as the RPSC money, would be a full time position, located 7 miles from my condo, full benefits and would start relatively soon. When weighed against contract work that would not start until September, the endless PQ process and the fact I would be locked away in semi-seclusion for another 13 months prompted me to take the Sun job.

I've been at Sun for two weeks now and everything is going really well. Sure there are some corporate cultural differences from what I am used to and new hire paperwork is confusing anywhere you go. My new boss is fantastic and the campus I work at is like a university. Other IT folks who know me will chuckle that I now use a SunRay thin client and Solaris 10 for everything.

So where does this leave "The Blur's South Pole Adventures?" Well probably in limbo. I can't write much about the Pole because I get my info from mostly the same sources as everyone else; Neal Scheibe, Michael Rehm, and the South Pole Station Website. I do occasionally get a tidbit from my sources inside RPSC but usually they are of a boring technical type that make for poor blogging.

So will I ever return? Very hard to say, I would like to explore this opportunity at Sun and see just how far I can go. I definitely do feel a "pull" from the ice, especially toward Palmer, the one station that has eluded me in my travels. But the earliest opening there is March 2008, so I have lots of time to think about it. So maybe check back in January 2008 and see if I am packing.

Blur's new corporate contact information:

Patrick McClure
ITOps - Procurement and Logistics

Sun Microsystems, Inc.
500 Eldorado Blvd.
Broomfield, CO 80021 US
Phone 303-272-4046/x74046
Email Patrick.McClure@Sun.COM

Maybe I will blog about my adventures in Denver.... Probably not.

11 Comments:

Blogger Neal said...

Look at you working again. I hope you enjoyed your 6 month vacation.

9:07 PM  
Blogger Blur said...

I did, worked on the tan, I'm practically brozen.

4:05 PM  
Blogger ethan said...

Congrats Patrick - nice to see you defenestrated. Sorry I won't see you next season.

1:00 PM  
Blogger Crystal said...

california....antarctica
california...antarctica
year round beach....frozen balls
midnight skinnydipping...2 minute showers


i think you made the right choice.

1:12 PM  
Blogger Blur said...

Ethan, never say never.

Crystal, I saw your tan and I think you are ahead of me. Plus I'm at the Colorado Campus, not California. No beaches here, but lots of mountains.

8:26 PM  
Blogger mcBlogger said...

(wink) OORRRR...you can blog from where you are. You just wont be in the South Pole anymore. I promise not to tell anyone. :-) (/wink) Ya, I know, incorrect syntax on the wink, but blogger wouldn't let me use it in the comment box.

10:03 AM  
Blogger Blur said...

I could blog from where I am but if you look at www.blogs.sun.com you'll see that only 3,281 blogs beat me to the punch.

But then I guess they are lacking the panache that I bring to this blog. I'll post if I decide to do it.

9:43 PM  
Blogger Jeff said...

Patrick, congrats on the new job! Your new company is lucky to have you, that's for sure.

Despite what skiddish global warming freaks tell you, Antarctica is not going anywhere anytime soon. If this new position doesn't work out, then I'll see you down on the ice!

7:36 PM  
Blogger Blur said...

Don't tell me 18% is considering going back to the ice? I have to say that I did not see you going back. All the swearing about how out of shape you were, the long shifts, the cold, dark and windy. Well maybe just a winter tour.

11:07 AM  
Blogger mcBlogger said...

DUDE! Are you coming back? I have a flash player and increased accessability past the firewall at work. I can now look at your stuff and you have no stuff. COMMON! Puhleeessse...

6:33 PM  
Blogger Crystal said...

how's colorado? you going to go back to antarctica next year?

4:38 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home